[pct-l] Rattlesnakes, water filter as venom extracctor

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:24:12 CDT 2010

Everything that Jim said, plus one more- apply a constricting band above the
bite(between the bite and the heart). This is NOT a tourniquet, but rather a
wide bandage, like an ace bandage, applied to reduce the circulation in the
skin, but not the veins or arteries. I think this step is often not taught,
because there is concern that people will make them to tight, like a
tourniquet, and cause damage. As someone mentioned, the 'cut & suck' method
is a horrible idea and only does more damage. Apparently sucking the venom
out with your mouth is also a bad idea, since the venom can be absorbed even
faster through you mucous membranes.

I used to carry a sawyer extractor in my kit, but took it out to reduce
weight. Most professionals are saying that it does little to no good.
Supposedly it can remove up to 30% of the venom(if the bite actually
envenomates, which it often does not). I figure less venom, even a little
less, is always a good thing, but it wasn't worth the weight for something
I'll probably never need anyway.

However it just so happens that the applicator tips of the sawyer extractor
fit the input tubing on my water filter, which produces at least as much
suction as the extractor, so I think I'll bring along the tips. It would be
difficult to use this method by yourself, since you need to hold the tip in
place while operating the filter, but I'll be hiking with a partner. Of
course this method would contaminate the filter, but I figure if I got
bitten I'd gladly pay for a new filter hose(you could also stuff a piece of
cotton or gauze into the filter end of the hose to stop the venom if it
makes it that far up the hose).