[pct-l] Mt San Jacinto snow photos

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 13:37:26 CDT 2010

With the warm weather we've been having lately, a lot of this will be gone in a month.

Gary

---- jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:

Your recollection is very accurate based on the photos.  The nice thing is that we have the better part of 1 month left before most thrus reach this area and there should be some significant melt between now and than.  Even with snow coverage (as there was in 2006), if there is decent warming temps the snow is typically soft enough, even on the north facing slopes, to allow for safe travel.  I would continue to recommend monitoring the melt and time the crossing of Fuller Ridge to allow for a crossing during the middle of the day.  May have some postholing but it is easier to cross when the snow is soft.

Elevator