[pct-l] Ticks / THEY HAVE INSTINCT

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 15:25:47 CDT 2010

Many years ago, I took an entomology class (bug biology) and was taught that ticks have a couple of instinctive habits.

They tend to like trails because their instinct tells them thats where the food supply cruises by. They actually
hang on vegitation with their little arms in the air waiting to grasp the first victim.

And, they tend to CLIMB UPWARD once on board. So, checking within the socks is a good habit, but I'd be
curious if anyone found a tick embedded below the shoe line?

Grabbing a tick by the forefinger and thumb will likely squeeze the little critters belly... reversing the flow of its body fluids back
into the victim. That increases the chance of infecting oneself. The usual recommendation is to use a tick removal tool placed just behinid its embedded
head and pull backwards, slowly, firmly, until its head comes out.