[pct-l] Vibram 5 fingers; keeping feet dry

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Thu Mar 25 02:03:55 CDT 2010

I got the V5F KSO Treks back at Christmas but so far I have only done day hikes in them. The Trek models have the Kangaroo uppers, a 4mm midsole plate (stone bruise protection) and a lightly lugged sole.

I have done numerous 12 mile packless hikes on my local training trail and a couple of 20 miles day hikes with a 15lb pack. There is a period of time required to strengthen the muscles in your feet that don't get used in shoes. I wear light toe socks in mine while hiking.

These are my observations so far:

Pros
- More comfortable than you can imagine for footwear
- Really light on the feet, I think they only weight 11oz or something
- Great traction, much better than trail shoes despite the lack of deep tread
- Seemingly blister free
- Full freedom for your feet, lots of room to expand out if they swell
- So comfy they would also be a camp sandal

Cons
- Got to be careful where you walk, a sharp stone to the arch is painful
- I am not fond of the leather uppers, my belief is they would be hot in the desert
- The leather would also suck in the rain, stream crossing, etc...
- I have a hard time imagining using them in snow
- Don't have the data yet but I am cautious about how many miles you can get out of them

BigToe