[pct-l] Vibram 5 fingers, foot injuries, and muscle atrophy

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Mar 25 08:05:08 CDT 2010

> I'm hoping there will be lots sections of the PCT that are relatively
smooth
and not too rocky, and I plan on hiking barefoot as much as possible.

Hey Dan

Late last year I took an interest in barefoot hiking - the stuff I read was
really compelling, but I couldn't quite get myself motivated to go out this
winter and train on cold sidewalks, which is mostly what I have access to.

You may have noticed that another one of the hikers who has signed up to
hike for Haiti this year is planning to do his hike on the Long Trail
barefoot.  I'll be interested to hear about his experience.

http://www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-IceMan

In 07 I hiked California in Tevas, and for this year I've been trying to
train my feet to like Chacos, but I'm really not sure how well I like the
thick hard sole.  I definitely don't feel like the muscles in my feet are
getting the exercise that they should, and I'm concerned those hard Chacos
are a step in the wrong direction.  The Tevas disintegrate as quickly as
running shoes, but at least there is some flexibility there. I feel
compelled to try the Chacos simple to not put five pairs of Tevas in the
garbage over the summer. Anyhow, I'll be interested to compare barefoot
notes on the PCT as I'm hoping to at least try a few stretches here and
there, maybe starting with a half hour each day & ramping up from there.

Donna has had an entire family stop in on their barefoot hike from Campo to
Oregon, so clearly it's doable.

Cheers,
Potential 178
www.hikefor.com