[pct-l] lightning

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Thu Mar 25 16:12:43 CDT 2010

Ray Jardine's classic book "Beyond Backpacking" has a good chapter on lightning dangers and how to deal with them, as well as a number of other outdoor situations. Highly recommended reading. Despite the statement of a respected forum contributor, I would certainly not "use anything in my pack as if there were no lightning", that is to say, any metallic object. As one example, Jardine warns of the danger of holding an umbrella with a metal shaft. Another example is the threat that golfers face when holding a metal club. Professional golf tournaments are immediately suspended when lightning even threatens.

As an aside, I was at the supermarket in Placerville yesterday and saw an old friend, Peter, who I had worked with for 20 years before I retired. He asked what I was up to these days and I replied that I was going to hike the PCT this year. He said "Oh, my sister hiked that trail and helped write a book about it". I asked what her name was, and Peter replied "Jenny, she's married to Ray Jardine".

Same trip to supermarket. Used men's room, looked in mirror, for first time ever saw hiker trash looking back at me. Whew, not a positive experience. I guess this is what happens when you have just finished an all-day training hike, stop shaving two months ago, have significantly lessened your shower frequency, and started eating boxed food from convenience stores to test it out.

Jim
Straywolf