[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 159

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 17:06:56 CDT 2010

Mad Monte and all of the boys and girls who hiked the trail in 1977 and earlier, hiked along the Vulcan Mtns to the west of the San Felipes. I hiked along this with a female partner in 90 degree heat eventually stopping at a cow pond in desperation for water. We strained the putrid water thru a bandana (boy I wish I had one of Linda's great ones back then!), then boiled it, hit with iodine, strained it again and then cooked our meal with it and drank it.  Neither of us got sick.  But Monte will claim that I walked her into the ground and caused her tendenitus to take her off of the trail.  Poor Elsa, I've never heard from her since!

Where did Mad Monte get his water in the '70's when he hiked the trail ?

Greg "Butt Dust" Hummel

" Travel light, carry little, keep it simple."