[pct-l] ultralight and dirt cheap water/camp shoes

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 20:03:35 CDT 2010

For those who will be carrying a separate pair of shoes for camp and water
crossings, I think I found the perfect solution. Basically its a no frills
water shoe, with a thin rubber sole and nylon mesh upper. Because of the
elastic the mesh lies flat against the thin sole, so these should pack very
easily. They are very comfortable, and I beleive the mesh holds it on tight
enough for water crossings. They are only $4 each, plus $6.50 for shipping.
I'd imagine you'll need a several pairs if you use them for the entire PCT.

The blog on which I read about it listed it as 1.8oz, which seems to be
true(my scale only reads to in 1 oz increments, and lists it as 2oz). That
bllog said that they run large, which is only sort of true. I ordered a
smaller size(medium which is 9-10) and they  are a bit small on my foot(size
11/11.5), my heel sticks out slightly over the sole, but they are
comfortable and the extra tightness is probably good for water crossings. I
was surprised that I could fit a pair of socks in these, which I want to
wear on cold nights, but then my heel sticks out a lot. So I'm going to
order 2 pairs of the large(11-12), which hopefully will not be too loose.
I'd recommend ordering one or 2 pairs of each size if your a size 11, since
an extra pair is cheaper than shipping for a second order(this is what I
should have done).

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

--
www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-Dan