[pct-l] Hobo Attack

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Mar 25 21:20:20 CDT 2010

Good evening, Dan,

Last summer after I got off the trail I was bitten by what I believe was a
spider when I was under my house’s crawlspace routing a com-sat cable.  It
probably fell – or crawled – down the sleeve of my coveralls and nailed me
when moved and put him in a pinch.

My elbow began to swell to about twice normal size and it ached
considerably.  It did not display the typical “target-wound” circle of a
brown recluse, and the recluse isn’t supposed to be found in the Pacific NW
anyway.  The doctor said the bite was most probably from a hobo spider
(*Tegenaria
agrestis*) which is troublesome but not as dangerous as a recluse.  Anyway,
the darn elbow was sore till Christmas.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09