[pct-l] Sierra Glaciers & Snow Talk

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 22:40:14 CDT 2010

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Important landmarks are usually named after important & famous people.
Our names will forever be linked to those famous "Switchback & Reinhold Glaciers". I don't see why the bigger glacier should be named after YOU. I think it should be named after ME....after all, I am more famous than you. Besides, I am far better looking than you....I think the hiker babes will agree with me on that.
Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: Yes, I must admit that you have the hiker gals all to yourself.  They do not want old mountainmen like me.  I have too many trial miles on me.  I will be shriveling and alone at my hiker services table at the Kickoff --- site #22.  Alone and forgotten by the new trail breed.  The glory days are gone.  Only memories are left of high adventure and danger around every corner.  The days of saber tooth mountain lions, Indian raids, and pillaging trail bandits.  Those were the good old days.  The days when we would sneak in and raid the big Sierra Club outings of 200 people.  We would get enough grub for another 2 weeks on the trail.  You never had to go out to resupply if there was a Sierra Club group in the mountains.  They were easy pick'ins,  You could even play golf at the old course in the Kern River valley.  That was also a good place to ambush groups coming in to climb Mt. Whitney.  That was the old route into the Whitney group.  Yes, now I am forgotten and a lone sorry figure hanging around hiker events looking for a handout.  A hand full of GORP to wolf down to keep me going for another day on the trail.  The trail of no end.