[pct-l] ultralight and dirt cheap water/camp shoes

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 15:44:39 CDT 2010

The biggest problem I had with swapping footwear for stream crossings was in
the Sierra's and it was the mosquitoes.  If I kept moving I was fine but
near some streams when I stopped to change footwear I was mercilessly
attacked.  I still did a footwear change some times but it was dictated by
mosquitoes more than anything else.  Note: I tried to use as little Deet as
possible.

Also, I wear a plastic arch support in my shoes.  I found that for crossing
streams I could take this arch support out from my shoes and put it into my
socks and cross just using my socks - the hard support protected the bottom
of my feet.  I could then wring out the socks and let them dry on my pack.

Worked okay for me except when the mosquitoes would let not me sit around
for a minute or two swapping footwear.  YMMV.

Day-Late