[pct-l] maps/thru-wallets

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 19:15:02 CDT 2010

First off, if I have gotten confused, I apologize.  Well, no, I am confused.  Wasn't it Postholer who was so upset about water being left at third Gate and other places along the trail to assist the Thur Hikers?  As I recall, he saw this as somehow encouraging people to depend on others and be less self-reliant and that this was a bad thing.  Am I right so far?  If not, I apologize.

If however, If recall correctly, how is it that the maps he provides/sells are not also reducing the self-reliance of hikers?  I personally think it is wonderful that he does this and I support him in this and all, I am just having a little trouble understanding why free water in the desert is wrong while $177 map sets are okay.  So most of the cost covers his expenses, that's fine and then both he and the PCTA each get $15 dollars, okay.  Still I can't understand why this is "good" and free water is "bad".

Is it just the eye sore issue?  One little spot now and then despoiling the lovely San Felipe Hills and other desert sections?  Certainly this can't be any worse than the paved roads and cars and houses and ranches that disturb far more of the scenery, or the trail itself that is as unnatural as can be, and those trail markers, they wouldn't be necessary if everyone would only buy that map set.  But I digress.

Shepherd