[pct-l] Hammer Products

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 14:24:52 CDT 2010

Yes, I have used Hammer.  In fact, I espoused the use of Hammer products on my first post on this site, where I mistakenly mentioned that I'd be thru-hiking the PCT in 2011 with my wife and child.  If that stains my credibility, pay no attention, but please don't.  Hammer works.  I have used it in an Ironman triathlon, in the Boston Marathon and in a thru-hike of the Pacific Northwest Trail.  The product I use is called Perpetuem: it's an all-natural vegetarian protein/lipid replenisher that is in powder form and mixes with water.  You can mix it to the consistency you prefer (thick paste/milkshake/regular sports drink).  Yes, I do know that hiking 20 miles a day is NOT the same as running 20 miles a day.  I know this because I do both.  So when I say that it works in both...I mean that it works in both.  Someone tried to explain to me the difference between hiking/running/triathlon...I get it, trust me.   Please try it for yourself.  If you don't like it, you don't like it.  But if you do, it's a great fallback reservoir if you unexpectedly run low on food...which can happen.  Even if you don't run low, I would recommend using Perpetuem as a staple of your trail diet.  Hike your own hike, and I hope this works for anyone who is willing to give it a shot.  Hammer, for those who don't know, is an excellent company out of little Whitefish, MT, right outside of Glacier NP.  They run a strong, local outfit and also make sports drink mix (Heed) and Hammer Gel which is more for bursts of energy for shorter aerobic exercises.  Perpetuem is specifically designed for continuous aerobic/anaerobic activity ranging from 3 to 15 hours.  I carry my Perpetuem in a flexible Nalgene canteen bag which is extremely durable and can conform to any part of your pack, even against your back.  Hope everyone's spring season is going well, and good luck to those embarking on their treks this year.

Deadbeat Dave

Attached Message