[pct-l] Grumpy Old Men

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 22:06:22 CDT 2010

The reason Postholer's views "bother" people is because he's so brash.  Hike. Your. Own. Hike.  And leave others be.  This is by and large a great community.  Today, I exchanged six personal emails about the use of Hammer Perpetuem, and I was glad to help out.  Likewise, I received some really helpful information from people when I had a question about trail re-routes.  However, I have been disgusted as of late of the good-old-boy mentality of a small handful of grumpy old men on this forum, Postholer being chief among them.  Again, I am so grateful to the many, many, many people who have engaged in correspondence over helpful how-tos, been-there's and the such, especially when the advice is solicited.  Thank you, thank you to all you hike-your-own-hikers on this forum, but please don't be bullied by the few narcissists on this forum.  The kickoff is commercial because there are vendors there.  I get it...WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR GEAR????  You got it from vendors. Of course vendors are going to sell at an event like this.  That's what keeps them in business.  You see, Postholer, vendors sell products to people so that people can use those products accordingly.  You act like they're predators.  We. Are. Adults.  If I want to buy something, I'll buy it.  If I don't, I don't.  Many times at expos such as the kickoff, I find it beneficial to look around.  If anything, wonderful conversation/debate about products arises.  People enjoy that.  There's not a vendor booth every ten miles on the trail.  It's a one-time event at the beginning of the trek.  I'm writing a book, but I feel like I'm missing something here.  Some of you may have made your gear on your own.  Awesome.  But why does the fact that the kickoff has become such an event enrage some of you?  This. Is. A. Good. Thing.  It's not attracting destructive use of the trail or our wild lands.  It's celebrating the pedestrian use of wilderness by human beings.  That's what the trail is for.  In an age of uber-technology and sedentary jobs, and with our pristine land dwindling by the year, you'd think an event which celebrates its use and protection (not to mention signifying its increased popularity) would be celebrated by those trying to sell maps for $177.  Half the donations go the PCTA...How do you think the PCTA will be affected by the kickoff?  More people will join, more people will donate.  You get word of mouth, more people want to come year after year...and celebrate people attempting to hike across the country over mountains, through rivers and deserts and...It's an ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!  It should be treated as such.  Cheers to all of you who put on this event.  I can't wait to be there in 2011 with a smile on my face.  It will be great to be surrounded by good-hearted people with a passion for adventure who haven't yet become consumed with themselves to the point that they think they are the sole authority on everything hiking.  None of us were the first, and none of us will be the last.  I urge some of the "patriarchs" to remember that when scowling from upon high at the "rest of us."

Cheers,

David & Rachel Liechty