[pct-l] Sports Drinks

Lawrence Pelo lawrence.pelo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 23:50:04 CDT 2010

I've used Hammer Perpetuem (as well as a similar product called Spiz) and
Hammer gels in a couple of 24-hour races. These are good products and I
recommend them for ultradistance racing.

Now, HYOH and YMMV and all that, and apparently Perpetuem worked for
Deadbeat Dave on the PNT, but I can't imagine using these ultra-endurance
products on a long-distance hike. They're formulated for performance, not
for taste, which is not so bad if you only have to choke them down for 24
hours or whatever, but I wouldn't want to consume them regularly over 5
months. When I'm hiking, I look forward to tasty food, and I think this
stuff tastes nasty.

If the motivation is to cut weight, Perpetuem etc. won't help you. A 69g
serving gives you 270 calories, or 3.9 cal/g, which is no better than many
other hiker foods. (Snickers = 4.7 cal/g, ramen = 4.4 cal/g, PB = 6.3 cal/g,
oatmeal = 3.7 cal/g.)

Lawrence