[pct-l] It Kinda Sucks.

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Mar 30 00:02:56 CDT 2010

>I've never been one to follow fads, or for that matter, try to
>start one, but this pink bandana thing got me thinking. What
> day is it when thru hiker's hike the trail naked?

The problem with hike naked day (summer solstice) is that the naked human body isn't always something attractive to look at.  Having to see a bunch of middle aged overweight men hiking naked seems more like having to participate in a bad punishment game after losing a contest at something.  Maybe some people were more fortunate to hike with the Sweedish Bikini Team, but I wasn't exactly hiking around attractive people that day and was very grateful that they remained clothed.  If they had stripped, my whole hiked could have been ruined by going blind and then falling off a cliff.

Don't preach to me about that BYOA (Bare Your Own @$$) garbage as some people showing their naked body could be considered an act of terrorism.  There needs to be a standards commitee created to determine those who meet some minimal requirement before they can bare all in the wilderness as such an act can either enhance or completely destroy the natural beauty of the wilderness experience.  I wonder if such a commitee could be added to the ADZPCTKO to audition potential naked hikers with a special stamp being added to approved thru-hiker permits; Licensed to Bare All.

As a side note to this issue, I heard a few stories of postholing up to the crotch while naked... Ouch!   It was bad enough postholing up to my thigh while clothed.

-Miner