[pct-l] Super Cheap Light Stuff Sacks

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 09:54:34 CDT 2010

Hi Everybody! I know we are all getting fired up for the trail. I want to share a really neat trick a fellow thru hiker showed me last year. My buddy PI used a postal service envelope, the kind that are like Tyvek, as his hiker wallet.
When I recently recieved my new MLD backpack it came in a similar but much larger Tyvek-like envelope. So I stuffed it full of gear and now it's my new clothing stuff sack.
These envelopes are un-imaginably tough and basically free when you get stuff through the mail.
It's funny that the envelope has "Please Recycle" printed on it.. Well I have!
The beauty of these things is they are lighter than most Hyper expensive stuff sacks and though they don't come with a draw string I found I personally never used that anyways. I normally just stuff the sack roll the top over and shove it upside down into my pack.
These Tyvek envelopes are dang near water tight as well and become soft as cotton over time. I have been using mine as a pillow lately and like the feel much better than my old nylon stuff sack.
Oh, and it was free.. Did I mention that?
Cheers-Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek