[pct-l] Rattlesnakes on the PCT

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 21:49:44 CDT 2010

Well Don, I wasn't actually advocating trekking poles as prevention from rattlesnakebite but I guess it is possible. What I meant to say, plainly, is that the hype and hysteria I had read online and in books (Even Jardines Book!) was frankly, overblown. What I found on the trail was "tame" in comparison to what I had led myself to believe.
Of couse just because I saw what I deemed to be very few buzzworms does not mean you will.
Anyhow, as far as the squiggly line to warn others. I only did that when I knew others were following. If I saw a rattler while solo I just passed it uneventfully.
I really don't know if making squiggles in the dirt helped but it made me feel better.
-Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek