[pct-l] The Best Huckleberries

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat May 1 07:41:04 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

Even though I’m an admitted left-brain engineer -- practical, analytical,
and pragmatic – I must say any comparison of Northwest huckleberries in
terms of size, sugar content, and juiciness misses the point.  Ripe
huckleberries fresh off the bush aren’t fuel for the body, they are fuel for
the soul.

My primary consideration isn’t what they are, but where they are:  I find
the best berries are the highest and most remote.  The further they are from
scrounging people and the closer they are to scrounging bears the better
they taste.  The same berry tastes much better to me when found on a high
pass amid scenic grandeur than if it were found on some nondescript
low-altitude hillside.

Your results may vary – poor, pitiful you….

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09