[pct-l] Protecting your food from bears

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 16:59:37 CDT 2010

There has been several posts recently about the Ursack not being approved and it's effectiveness compared to to Bear Cannisters.  As I see it, since neither contain the SMELL of the food stored inside, bears will be attracted to either - - - and then will try to get at the food. If a bear can see either container, and from experience, knows that food is stored inside, he will walk over to it and sniff it to verify.  And then, if food is indeed there, will try to get inside.  Now, if the bear does not smell food, it wiill walk away to check elsewhere.  Why not put the food in an OPSAK to prevent the food smells from escaping, then, to be in compliance with regulations in those patrs of the Sierra where cannisters are required, put the OpSak in your cannister. On my PCT ride I just stored my food in an OpSak at night and also put mothballs (in tobacco sacks) around my food and tent area. I replaced food smells with a smell that the bears
 dislike. Many people who live in rural areas where there are bears use mothballs to repel them from thier garbage cans. Last summer, during my stop at Hiker-Hide-Away at Old Station, I enjoyed a day ride with FireFly's neighbor, Mary C.. She uses mothballs to keep the bears away from her garbage cans.
MendoRider