[pct-l] please remove me from list

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat May 1 17:14:19 CDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 2:43 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

>> It's kinda like the Roach Motel. You can check-in, but you can't
>> check-out!
>
> "Welcome to the Hotel California"
> "...this could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
> "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"

Oh I have to tell the story of Wrightwood. I hiked through there in
'08. We had a snowstorm for several days over Memorial Day weekend. I
felt so trapped. When finally the weather looked better I set off
with my boyfriend into the snow. I got to the top of Baden-Powell and
did not like the looks of things. Clouds were forming again. I
worried it would rain on top of the snow and with all the postholing
we were doing I just wanted to go somewhere else safer, warmer and
just not so extreme. So we careened down this gully to the highway
(never was I so scared as when we did that, but that's yet another
story). But stupidly instead of turning left on the highway, I turned
right and headed back to Wrightwood. As we were sitting in this bar
eating burgers, Hotel California was playing on the jukebox. I
thought, how appropriate. I told my boyfriend let's get in the car
and drive as far away from Wrightwood as we can get so I can get back
on the trail somewhere outside its gravitational pull. We drove to 3-
Points, a big huge chunk of driving that had us go south through I-15
and Cajon Pass and then around the front sides of the San Gabriels
all the way to La Canada. I continued on from there. I never did
complete that section in between and it looks like I may never. I
never want to get that close to Hotel California again!

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes