[pct-l] Snow/ Water Update

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 21:59:52 CDT 2010

Snow leaving northbound Idyllwild Junction (Mile 179) snow patches making it easy to navigate to about Mile 180.5.  Past Mile 180.5 the snow is about 1 to 3 feet making navigation more difficult.  There are patches of ground on some slopes which makes it easier to navigate but this is not common.  There is also snow/ice on some steep slopes.  Snow is not a problem after the PCT crosses road near Mile 191 (Black Mountain Rd).

I obtained water at Deer Springs about Mile 185 from a small hole that formed in the snow.  I did not see any water at N. Fork San Jacinto River.  I just heard the roar of the water, apparently I hiked right over the river. Snow Canyon Faucet working  (Mile 206).

Paul