[pct-l] Trail fears and mental health

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 12:47:29 CDT 2010

Huh, and their child was coming in for intake? Go figure...

(No disrespect intended toward those with mental health issues!)

Janet wrote:
"But my job is as a therapist doing intakes with people coming in for mental health
services. I have the PCTA map of the trail on my office wall, marked with the
approximate area I've covered (Campo to Kennedy Meadows so far), and surrounded by
PCTA calendar photos of the trail. This week I was assessing a child, and his mother
noticed the wall, asked about it, and then freaked out about my hiking alone. She
said, "I may never see you again, but now I'm going to have to keep worrying about
you out there by yourself." Her husband also got upset when I said I wasn't "packing"
(a gun).