[pct-l] Prepared for weather

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon May 3 10:28:31 CDT 2010

---- Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com <diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:

> The thing with backpacking is that the reasonable thing to do (as in
> what would you really do) is to not be out there when it's bad.
> There's no gear, light or heavy, that substitutes for a warm, dry
> building. So just because people are finding their way to warm
> buildings to stay and wait for weather to improve isn't a sign of
> poor judgment but of good judgment.

There are limits to the ultra-light philosophy. Somehow, ultra-light has morphed into the only way to travel in the mountains. It is accepted as gospel, and is never questioned on this list, for example.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that UL makes you, in a lot of cases, a PCT avoider. I read in journals of people skipping beautiful sections of the trail because of their gear.

When you're traversing major mountain ranges in the spring, there will be times when you're going to be out there when weather is bad. I'd rather be hunkered down in a tent riding out a little weather (and have), than be spending time and money in a cheesy motel. Or relying on the kindness of strangers to house and transport me. If I have to carry a couple of extra pounds to do so, it doesn't seem so onerous.

Truly, HYOH. You don't have to hike Ray Jardine's hike.

YMMV, of course.

Gary