[pct-l] Prepared for weather/a note to esquestrians

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 12:08:26 CDT 2010

Diane,   I always read your posts.  They contain good information that every hiker should be aware of.  Your post of  5-3-10 is especially relevant to the current topic relating to PCT hikers being prepared for abrupt changes in weather in the mountains of Southern California. Always expect the unexpected and be prepared for it.  The PCT is only rarely in "desert" in So. Ca. In May of 2008 I rode through a snowstorm on the Angeles Crest.

     Since I rode a horse and went solo I had to be especially aware of the possibility that I could be separated from my horse while on the trail - he was spooked big- time on the trail in Washington.  I had quickly dismounted and Primo bolted away in a panic.  I recovered him in less than two miles. What if I had been thrown off and was injured or he ran farther and I could not find him?  In bad weather I could have been in trouble.  HOWEVER, I had my knapsack on; I always carry it when riding on the PCT. I also wear a riding helmet.   Weighing less than 19 pounds, the knapsack contained everything I would need to survive the unexpected - my sleeping bag and extra cloths in a trash-compactor bag in case of rain, some food, up to 80 ounces of water, first aid supplies matches, whistle, etc., etc.  Also, I always carry my SPOT on my person.

    Last August there was a tragic horse accident in Washington.  It was on the Little Giant part of the hiker detour on Section K.  This part is notorously very,very, dangerous for horses.  Both horses fell about 500' to thier deaths. The bold, brave, "risk-taker" rider had made several mistakes. 1) Trying to ride the Little Giant. 2) Hard-tieing the horses together - one pulled the other down. 3) She did not carry a knapsack and had a SPOT - but carried it on her riding horse rather than on her person.  She was, with difficulty, able to climb down to the horses and get her SPOT and supplies, and was rescued by helicopter. I have learned that this was her third rescue during her PCT ride. What if she had been injured and/or could not possibly climb down?  I had detoured around the Little Giant - from the White River TH to Trinity.

MendoRider