[pct-l] Prepared for weather

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon May 3 16:21:57 CDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 12:12 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> There are limits to the ultra-light philosophy. Somehow, ultra-
> light has morphed into the only way to travel in the mountains. It
> is accepted as gospel, and is never questioned on this list, for
> example.
>
> One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that UL makes you, in a lot
> of cases, a PCT avoider. I read in journals of people skipping
> beautiful sections of the trail because of their gear.

The ultralight philosophy is more than gear. It also includes
strategies for dealing with weather and snow. People really should
read Ray Jardine's PCT Hikers Handbook. I found it very helpful.

It's easy to go to backpacking light and read the gear lists and
spend money and get a bunch of really light stuff that's even lighter
than what Ray Jardine himself would take, but that is missing the
other half of ultralight philosophy which includes things like
choosing a good start date and yes even taking alternate routes if
the conditions are such that your gear or lack thereof might put you
in danger. I have no problem with alternate routes myself. It's all a
good adventure to me.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic