[pct-l] backpacking with money

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue May 4 12:59:59 CDT 2010

I carried my Driver's License, a credit card, my ATM card, and some cash in my hiker wallet that I stored inside my pack in my stuff sack for misc. things.  I kept some additional cash inside the pocket under the crown of my hat.  The idea was that if I would always have something in case something happened.  On the day that I would be entering a town, I would move my hiker wallet into my hipbelt pocket so that I would have easy access to it so I could eat ASAP.

I normally carried about $100 in cash as there are a few places that only take cash and there may not be an ATM in town (though most do).  For most of the trail, you don't necessary need that much.  There was a time I paid cash for someones gas inorder to get a ride back to the trail after we had been trying for a hitch for a really long time with no success so I really believe in always having some.

-Miner