[pct-l] backpacking with money

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue May 4 13:32:49 CDT 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Austin Williams wrote:

> In my experience of having my debit card stolen, the bank just asked what
> day the card was stolen, and re-credited my account with everything that was
> spent after that date.  No problems.  If a merchant screws up your
> transaction and you catch it, they just recredit your account on the spot (I
> had that happen a few times too).  It's pretty standard procedure.

I've had friends work with the bank for *months* as money was drained, returned
by the bank, drained again, returned by the bank, etc.  Finally they had to just
close the account.

I would much rather dispute a bill with the credit card company, backed by
extensive consumer protection laws, than convince the bank to return my money.

I think there is a huge difference between seeing a $0 balance at the ATM machine
and seeing bogus charges on your credit card bill with your money still in the
bank and accessible.

You are correct about PIN #'s but those too can be compromised.

Radar