[pct-l] Tioga Pass Road

james8313 @dslextreme.com james8313 at dslextreme.com
Wed May 5 00:18:08 CDT 2010

9Having watched the plowing of the Tioga Road for several years and having
some access to local info
in the papers form the area it looks like they are near Porcupine Creek
which is in an area with lots of
trees and 9 feet of snow... Once they get thru that section and on south
facing slopes they can make
some good miles.  If I remember last year the road was clear to Toulumne
Meadows by mid May but
was not opened until Memorial weekend as they use the time to do road
repairs etc.. It usually takes
a couple more days to get to Tioga Pass and the Park Boundry.  CalTrans is
responsible to clear the
snow on the east side of the Sierra's and will have it cleared so 120 is
open for trafic from the Valley
to Hwy 395 at Lee Vining.

Interesting drive if it was a heavy snow year and the road is just open
there was 9 feet at the pass
in 1964/65 and I was in a Mustang Convertable with the top Down...
Burrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

YosemiteJames