[pct-l] mummy bags

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed May 5 18:01:43 CDT 2010

I'm not sure what you equate a mummy bag to. The shape doesn't
correspond to actual warmth.

I about died of heat prostration through Oregon which I hiked from
early July to end of July. My 20 degree quilt was way too warm and
there were many nights where I slept without it until about 1AM and
then laid it over me keeping my torso out.

Do bring a sleeping bag of some sort. Perhaps only 30 degrees is
adequate. Do also bring good shelter from mosquitoes during that month.

Diane

On May 5, 2010, at 9:06 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I tried using a regular sized mummy bag.  I tried pulling my leg up
> in the middle of the night, got stuck and woke up in a panic.
> (Claustrophobic).  So I purchased an over sized mummy bag through
> costco.  It weighs 4 lbs and is really too big (I have LOTS of room
> inside the bag), not to mention that I can't get the thing to fit
> inside my backpack where sleeping bags go.  And if I am going to
> hike the Oregon section of the PCT starting sometime mid July do I
> really need a mummy bag?
> Sherry

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight