[pct-l] Canister Stove vs. Alcohol

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Thu May 6 10:56:27 CDT 2010

So I just recently got an alcohol stove. I haven't used it in the field
yet but have lit it on my patio. I like it cuz there's not much to it
and it's light, but am very concerned that I can't see the flames. Kinda
scares me for out in the wilderness even if I do have a nice area clear
from flammables. It also doesn't seem like the most stable thing either
on the ground or putting a pot on top. One of the nice things is how
light it is, but to ad legs or something for stability would put the
weight back up.

Any advice from seasoned alcohol stove users would be appreciated. I
plan to go cookless for most of the trail, but in the areas of lots of
rain or snow I want the possibility of a warm meal once in a while.

Thanks!
Kathi