[pct-l] Canister Stove vs. Alcohol

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Thu May 6 16:36:40 CDT 2010

Steel-Eye said:

....  About the only shortcoming is their poor ability
to “simmer”, but I – like most other hikers – don’t simmer anything.  The
stove is full-on to get the water hot, and then it’s off.  When I’m looking
for foods in the supermarket, and a box says, “…simmer for 10 minutes…” it
goes right back on the shelf.

My reply:
If the food says simmer for 10 minutes, we remove the pot from the stove and
wrap it in a fleece jacket for about 10 minutes. Seems to work okay. You
might want to try it at home before commiting to this technique on the
trail.

Ken