[pct-l] Good shoes

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 14:14:53 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Amanda L Silvestri
<aslive at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have tried hiking with shoes but what I have found is that for my feet I need a sturdy sole, more like what I find in a boot.  In shoes I seem to feel every little rock and my feet become quite sore before I have hiked five miles.  Anyone have ideas as to how I can reduce the weight to a shoe while maintaining the sturdiness of a boot sole?

I hear ya.  That, I think, is what made the Montrail Hardrock so
popular - it had the attributes you described, IME.  And of course it
was discontinued.

The low-cut Vasque Breeze might have what you want.  Heavier than
trail runners, but has the most solid underfoot.  My problem with them
was that the interior was too rough and stiff.  The flexing material
over the top of one big toe smacked into the tendon with each step,
leaving me with a swollen spot that took two months to get rid off.
And they also bit the undersided of my ankle bones.  But your feet are
likely different, so check them out.  REI stocks them, so you can
return them if they don't work out.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7080-vasque/7080-vasque-mens-breeze-low-vst-beluga-gunmetal

I've coughed up the money for a pair of the Montrail AT Plus.  The
underfoot protection seems similar to the Hardrock.  I will be using
them for my CT hike.  I don't think they're going to breathe or drain
well, but those are secondary considerations to sole protection.

--
'Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit' - Oscar Wilde

Sent from home by my carrier pigeon.