[pct-l] GPS maps

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sun May 9 02:25:33 CDT 2010

I am a foreigner. Recently, I noticed that Washington is located north
of California, not in the Washington D.C. So I bought several maps and
softwares, and  I  made many mistakes.

Failure
1. Garmin US TOPO 24K National Parks, West. -- I do not recommend.
Included topographical maps are small parts of California. Many blank
area exist.
2. National Geographic TOPO! California.  ---Very good map, but these
maps cannot install to GPS. If you use a small computer with GPS unit,
This map will be splendid. But, I do not recommend.
3. DeLORME Atlas & Gazetteer California Detailed Topograpic Maps. I
bought this map from Amazon.com.  My impression is very good. It will
be possible to bring out necessary pages. --But, there are excellent
Halfmiles maps.

Success ---Free GPS map

Last summer, I found free GPS maps of JMT  at Mapcenter. This map was
excellent, but some of the tail data were different from real. The
data were outdated.  Mapcenter was not exist already.

I searched by using Google, and found two useful sites:

1. Free routable maps http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
---Very good at city area, restraunt and many information were
included, but no topological data

2. GPSFileDepot:   http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
---Excellent topological map of California, but no geographical name,
no information except topo.

I have struggle to install these maps into my GPS (Map60Csx) by using
Garmin MapSource, and failed frequently. This software is not good.

I have no special knowledge about GPS, but I noticed a simple answer
today. very easy way. Now, I got a free excellent  topological map of
whole California.

1. Download and install the sendmap20.exe from http://cgpsmapper.com/
2. Start sendmap20,  include whole .img files (I had included the
topological and  routable maps of whole California )
3. It will make  GMAPSUPP.IMG file.
4. In microSD card, make folder "Garmin" and copy GMAPSUPP.IMG into this folder.

Thats all. Two kind maps unite in one. My Map60Csx accepts microSD HD
card (8Gb). It works, though I do not guarantee.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )