[pct-l] On the Dangers of the UL Mentality/EXPERIENCE

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 9 17:20:46 CDT 2010

Whenever people equate heavy with safe and light with unsafe I'll
just remember the guy I met on the trail yesterday. He had the
biggest pack I ever saw and was carrying a shovel and a 5 gallon
bucket. This was a full-sized shovel like you'd find in the garage.
He was planning to hike along a river trail that involved at least
200 creek crossings in 45 miles of trail. He'd already made it 8
miles so who knows? Maybe he'll make it. However, even though he had
asked for directions, he was already lost by about 180 degrees when I
saw him. What he was going to do with the bucket and how it and the
shovel were going to help him negotiate the creek crossings is a
mystery that will have me wondering for a long time to come.
Diane

On May 7, 2010, at 2:48 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> On the Dangers of the UL Mentality/EXPERIENCE

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes