[pct-l] 1-888-PC-TRAIL anyone else heard of this?

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Mon May 10 17:39:31 CDT 2010

I called and listened to the conditions up here between Steven's Pass and
Manning Park. They are saying they want you on the Detour Route.

95% of all PCT hikers (thru and section) stop at our place before they head
north out of Steven's Pass. We talk to all the SOBO and most of the NOBO. We
ask them to call when they get to Manning Park with any problems. When the
snow hits in mid Sept we start tracking each hiker. It's our responsibility
to be your support system up here.

Last year 4 SOBO tried to use the detour and couldn't get through. They had
to back tracked to Trinity Trail head and hitch to Hwy 2 and then to our
place. As far as I know all the NOBO in 2009 used the Original Route up here
between Steven's Pass and Stehekin. In the last 4 years there have only been
a few, out of 1000 NOBO hikers, that have used the detour. The PCT up here
should be passable by very late June or early July.

Everyone over the last 7 years has been worried about the Suiattle log
crossing. About 1600+ hikers have crossed that log and I have not heard of
anyone falling off into the river. I am not telling you to "take" the
original trail or to cross the Suiattle log.....talk to those SOBO and to
those who may have been there before you. I am only telling you what the
past hikers have been doing.

HYOH.......just be as safe as you can. Airlift ain't cheap.

PCT MOM