[pct-l] On the Dangers of the UL Mentality

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:27:28 CDT 2010

A side note, but back on topic.

There are three Israeli hikers hiking as a group this year. I had an
opportunity to speak with the one fluent in English at length at KO and
further up the trail  They are just out of their national service obligation
and are each carrying 50 lb packs.  They are moving REALLY fast, in unison
with great discipline.  As an example, I was serving at Mike Hererra's when
they arrived and they each went though their stretching regimen, which
lasted 20 minutes or so, before eating; even though there was a steady run
on the BBQ which could have meant they went without.  They were dropped off
back at Warner Springs after KO and wound up at Mike's around 2:00 P.M.
later that day.  No getting shape for these guys.

I was very impressed.  We agreed that if the military ran a battalion up the
trail they'd have a strike force second to none.

I just don't know what's in their packs. Uzi's?  A complete set of the
Oxford English Dictionary?  A goat?  I'm assuming that this is the base pack
weight for their military, but admittedly, this is a WAG.

Gourmet