[pct-l] John Muir

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 20:13:44 CDT 2010

John Muir was not actually a shepherd. In the fall of 1868 he was hired by a friend named Pat Delany to accompany and supervise Mr. Delany's shepherd while moving the sheep into the high pastures of the Sierra. By agreement, the shepherd would do most of the work - while Muir would be free to roam and study at will. You can read about this in one of his several books:  "My First Summer in the Sierra".

I recommend that those who would hike the PCT, including one of its most beautiful sections - The John Muir Trail - read that and also:   "The Yosemite" ;  "Mountains of California" ;  "Steep Trails" - "Our National Parks" - and other books by Muir. Also, you can find a treasure of his unplublished writings in the Bancroft Library in Berkeley, California. John Muir has been described as the "Father of our National Parks System".  He was also founder of the Sierra Club.

MendoRider