[pct-l] John Muir Trail in early June

Avace Dani avacedani at gmail.com
Mon May 10 21:26:39 CDT 2010

Thanks Gary. I saw that Tioga pass is still not open. If it doesn't open by
May 28, then I will add a couple days to my trip and start in Yosemite
Valley. I asked the rangers about conditions and all they could tell me was
"a lot of snow" and "high stream crossings". I'm not sure if that means 2
feet snow or 15 feet of snow. I can see that Tuolumne currently has ~5 feet,
so I'd imagine the high passes along JMT having a bit more than that. I
tried using links from the pcta website to find snowpack information but
only found data for northern California parts of the PCT, nothing as far
south as JMT. Any advice?

And being prepared for snow travel...does that mean getting ice axes,
crampons and other winter backpacking gear? As of now I have been preparing
for a 3-season backpacking trip.

Thanks again,
Avace