[pct-l] 1-888-PC-TRAIL anyone else heard of this?

Dirk Rabdau dirk9827 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 00:56:35 CDT 2010

With individual choice comes individual responsibility. That's the rub, isn't it? In regards to the 24x24x24 challenge, that it involved individuals who had already been rescued once by emergency personnel, my feeling is that there is a certain level of responsibility is incumbent upon each of us to ensure that our behavior does not place others at risk. We mitigate risk along the trail by carrying proper equipment, food, water and maps. We make decisions based upon experience and judgment. To expect that others adhere to this simple maxim  has nothing to do with imposing individual values and everything to do with common sense. If I am in need of rescue because of poor decision making, the moment a chopper goes into the air I have placed the lives of those trained personnel in jeopardy. That they accept that risk as part of their job, does not absolve me from criticism or responsibility.  Nor does it change the fact that by helping me, they are not
 available to come to the aid of someone else.

By all means, hike your own hike. Make it your own by accepting the responsibility of this undertaking, and eschew the temptation to approach each decision with the belief that if something goes wrong, the burden of rescue will fall upon others.

Respectfully,

Dirk