[pct-l] Sympathy

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue May 11 08:20:49 CDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 12:12 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I am in the middle of sewing my Ray-Way Tarp using silicone coated
> nylon and would appreciate some sympathy from anyone out there who
> has tried to tame that slipper son of a gun material! No matter how
> I pin it, tack it, clip it, staple it those seams keep come out
> looking like they have been sewn in the dark by a drunken man!
>
> It had better be worth it!!

The tarp or the hike? The hike will be worth it. Can't say about the
tarp.

I thing I've heard the key to sewing silnylon is a walking foot. It
grabs the top of the fabric and pulls it with the feed dogs below.

Here's a page I found with some ideas for sewing the stuff. Glue
stick? Might be worth a try.
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/silnylon.asp

> Dave

Books I've written: