[pct-l] sympathy for Dave

pamealia at aol.com pamealia at aol.com
Tue May 11 08:38:56 CDT 2010

I am in the middle of sewing my Ray-Way Tarp using silicone coated nylon and
ould appreciate some sympathy from anyone out there who has tried to tame that
lipper son of a gun material! No matter how I pin it, tack it, clip it, staple
t those seams keep come out looking like they have been sewn in the dark by a
runken man!
It had better be worth it!!
Dave

Poor Dave! [sounds of tiny violins playing in the background]
I do empathize with you.  And kudos for DIY!

I have sewn some pretty slinky stuff, but this nylon coated stuff takes the cake!

I just finished making some rain chaps out of some slicky stuff (silnylon?)  and it IS really dificult to sew - the bottom layer of fabric feeds along while the upper layer glides off to other countries.

I didn't want to make any pin holes in the [#$%&!] stuff,  so I tried using tape, bits of silicone ear plugs in between (hoping to find SOMETHING that would adhere to the stuff!),  and finally some tearaway facing on the underside with tiny clothespins to hold it all in place.  Nothing helped.   The best I could manage was to hold the seam I was trying to sew at both ends and work it through the sewing needle by the tension of my hands.

The slick nylon is why we don't have our Ray-Way sleeping quilt made yet (which we bought for our 2008 hike, btw). Thank goodness it is mostly straight stitches and I can at least pin it.

Gives me the feeling to true awe for those poor folks in the sweat shops sewing this gear.

maybe that double sided sticky tape . . .

~pam from ky