[pct-l] Washington Section K - PCT vs Detour

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 13:35:47 CDT 2010

When I was on Section K last year I learned, as PCT Mom said, that virtually all PCT thru-hikers were taking the original PCT route - not the detour.  This was not an option for me since I was riding a horse and there are many large down trees that the hikers can get past but not a horse. I took the PCT as fat as Indian Pass then decended to the White River TH and was traileredd around (prearranged)  to Trinity. We then continued on the detour over Bucks Pass and back to the PCT north of ths Suitelle River. By this route I did not ride on the "Little Giant" part of the detour, as It considered very dangerous to horses. I want to point out that the Little Giant is ALSO dangerous for hikers.  A hiker who tried it last August fell off the trail, broke his neck, and ended his hike in the hospital. A woman tried it with her two horses and lost both - they fell about 500'.  She needed rescued by Helicopter.