[pct-l] Spintex .97 vs. Silnylon 1.35,

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue May 11 23:51:22 CDT 2010

The spintex is lighter then silnylon but works just as well and you will have less sag due to moisture.  The downside is that its noiser when its brand new but it will quiet down with use.  For reference, I used a MLD Grace Solo tarp for the entire PCT last year and was happy with it (though I spent the extra money for the cuben fiber version).

I have the MLD Bug bivy.  I like using it as a stand alone shelter when its not raining but bugs are expected.  When using it under a tarp, you unhook it from the ridgelin loop so that the top of it drops and then its easy to climb out of.  It only takes a few seconds to do.  After you get back in, you just refasten it to the loop.  The serentiy shelter is heavier but looks to be roomier.  The ends are silnylon rather then netting so they will help stop any wind blow rain you get under your shelter (not really necessary with the Patrol shelter).

That said, I uesd my MLD Bug bivy all of 2 days in the Sierra and used my normal MLD superlite bivy instead (still protects from begs) for the rest of the trip  as I only used it when I went to sleep as there is no room to do anything else in it.  I slept out in the open most nights and used my bivy sack at least 65% of the time while my tarp was only used 9 times for the entire PCT.

-Miner