[pct-l] Washington Section K - PCT vs Detour

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed May 12 08:42:11 CDT 2010

I spoke to two southbounders at White Pass. I can't exactly recall
what they said was the reason they did not make it through the
detour. Either they said that the detour had a detour of its own or
else the route they were expected to follow was impassable. In either
case, they had heard from others to follow a route that led them into
thickets of willows or alders or whatever that stuff is through which
they thrashed for miles and miles before giving up. They somehow made
it to Trinity and rather than road walk, they called for a ride. They
were disappointed they had chosen this route and strongly suggested
we did not do the same.

All accounts I was hearing indicated there was this awful willow
section to bushwhack so it was not the case that they were lost.
Additionally, the good trail was often overgrown to the point where
only your feet could "see" the trail. There were also at least two
bridgeless dangerous rivers to cross. After slogging through wet
brush through Washington's second section and facing a choice between
more of that plus a detour that offered all the downsides of the main
route, I chose the main route. I was very happy with my choice.

I had also heard that the detour was beautiful country. But that's
what 10 day trips are for. If you are hiking the PCT and there is a
detour that isn't better, it makes more sense to stay on the PCT.
Come back in the future to see Little Giant Pass and the Shangri La
of the Cascades.

Diane
On May 12, 2010, at 12:07 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Washington Section K - PCT vs Detour