[pct-l] footwear weight, was UL danger

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 19:26:47 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Yoshihiro Murakami
<completewalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> But the increase of energy consumption is smaller than the expected.
> Is  there any significant difference? I do not know. They did not
> calculated.  Generally speaking, the largeness of 2 or 3 % is
> statistically non significant level. This difference may be very
> small.

If you run through the calculations for the impact of a 12 kg (26+ lb)
load on the back (a 20% increase in subject body mass) vs. no load, I
think it comes out in the neighborhood of 10-15% increase in VO2, when
walking in the range of 60-70 m/min (mid 2 mph).  10-15% more doesn't
sound like all that big a deal to me either, but I think most people
carrying that amount of weight on their back feel like something has
changed by more than 15%, and not for the better either.   My guess is
that there's a lot more to it than what this study addresses.
--
'Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit' - Oscar Wilde

Sent from home by my carrier pigeon.