[pct-l] pct-l] footwear weight, was UL danger

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Thu May 13 18:42:01 CDT 2010

There were a modulator variable --- Walking speed. The importance of
boots weight depend on the walking speed. This might be the crucial
points to interpret the footwear experiments.

Legg & Mahanty(1986) studied only five subjects on three conditions:
 No load / boots(1.5Kg)   VO2 resulted 0.85
 Backpack(24.9Kg)/ boots(1.5Kg)   VO2 resulted 1.17
 Backpack(24.9Kg) boots(5.1Kg) VO2 resulted 1.57
Their conclusion that each 100g increase in weight of footwear results
0.7-1.0% increase in VO2 is based on this data. So, the caution needed
to interpret their conclusion. Today, no one wear such a heavy boots.

Holewijin et al.( 1992) carried out their experiments and summed  up
the previous studies. I read this paper yesterday (I cannot do my work
!), and realized that no complicated situation exists.
  Their conclusion is: "the mass of footwear resulted in an increase
in the expenditure which was a factor 1.9-4.7 times greater than that
of a kilogram of body mass, depending on sex and walking speed".
  They  plotted the 6 experiments ( including 5 previous experiments )
by the walking speed and the oxygen uptake. The range of walking speed
was 4 to 12 Km/hr. The regression line was calculated. They said
"walking velocity affects dramatically the VO2 per kilogram shoe
mass".  To put it briefly, the importance of footwear weight is 1.9 at
4 km/hr, but 4.7 at 12Km/hr.

The economical walking speed must be between 4 and 5 Km/hr, based on
the previous experiments. So, when the footwear experiments, carried
out  in this economical speed range, resulted sometimes no statistical
difference of VO2 , because the importance of footwear is minimum.

Abe et al.(2008) also indicated the economical speed is 3.6-4.8Km/hr,
based their load carriage experiments.

My conclusion is:
The footwear weight is important for the speed hiker ( 6 Km/hr or more ).
The footwear weight in not so important as previously expected for
adequate walking speed ( 3.6 - 4.8 Km/hr )
More slower walking speed resulted more energy consumption.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )