[pct-l] All 'PCT Class DVDs' are available for direct download at the PCT Library

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu May 13 20:14:59 CDT 2010

I've burned a lot of DVDs of various years for people. I've also burned
some for myself.

Others have reported the DVDs I sent wouldn't play on their DVD player (or
computer). I've had freshly burned DVDs that wouldn't play right on my Bose
system. I've had DVDs that used to play go bad. I've had DVDs I burned fail
verification.

I did some inquiries over on digitalFAQ.com about the problems.  Long story
short:
blank DVD brands vary in quality. DVDs from the same batch of the same
manufacturer may vary with some bad. I now use Verbatim DVD-R 8x purchased
from SuperMediaStore.com. The Verbatim seems to be the best brand going
currently.

Burned DVDs are imitating mass produced DVDs which are pressed, not burned.
(don't ask me how).

DVDs may deteriorate over time.

There are differences between the various types of DVDs and differences
among the various models of DVD burners and players. usually this works,
but sometimes not.

If you can, download the video from a website or via bit-torrent.
Second best -- when you get your burned DVD, store a copy on your
hard-drive. Maybe you can play from this copy; or if the DVD goes bad, you
can burn a replacement.

Tortoise

<> Because truth matters! <>