[pct-l] footwear weight, was UL danger

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri May 14 18:34:12 CDT 2010

About all this footwear and evolution and optimal walking speed...
Keep in mind we evolved to walk without any footwear at all.

I have some footwear that has very little weight: New Balance MT
100s. I have some other footwear that also has very little weight:
Feelmax Osmas.

The difference between the two are the New Balance has cushioning and
a 10mm heel. The Feelmax Osma has no heel and no cushioning.

On a surface that does not require cushioning, such as a smooth flat
surface with no painful rocks or anything to slow me down, I am
unable to walk as fast in the Feelmax as the New Balance. To attempt
to walk fast actually feels odd and unnatural. It seems that to go
fast, one must begin to run.

In running shoes with maximum cushioning, it feels like more effort
to walk fast than in the lesser cushioned shoes I have. I believe
this is because it takes more effort to fold the shoe at the
breakpoint at the ball of the foot. In some other shoes I have that
are not cushioned and have a slight heel rise (I have several casual
shoes like this) I can walk very fast with very little effort
compared to the MT 100s and the other running shoes I have. So, no
heel rise slows me down, too much cushioning slows me down, but a
slight heel rise speeds me up.

My point is that even if they measured heavy boots and light boots,
both kinds of boots had a heel rise. Whatever the optimal speed they
arrived at for walking was probably influenced by the heel rise and
possibly by other factors they forgot to add in such as the amount of
cushioning or stiffness in the sole. Because they tested people in
shoes, you really can't extrapolate from there exactly what is our
evolutionary endowment. I believe that we evolved to walk slowly and
to run when we need to go faster.

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight