[pct-l] Determining how much food to take

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Fri May 14 21:02:00 CDT 2010

Sherry -

This is how I determine how much food to take for me - senior female.

First I dehydrate my food.  On the trail, I eat pretty much like I do at
home.  I dehydrate canned chicken and turkey because fresh is chewy when it
is dehydrated and then rehydrated.

I figure out how many days/partial days I'm going to be out.  Then I
determined how many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, plus two snacks a
day.  I either use single-serving oatmeal, or measure out one serving and
put in a snack-size plastic bag.  I add a protein to this bag - usually real
crumbled bacon  (Costco sells their own brand now in the canned food aisles
- ).  I also add 1/4 cup died fruit.  Then I zip it closed.  I do the same
thing for lunches and dinners, except that I package the meals in sandwich
bags because of the need to rehydrate.  I pack my snacks.  Then, every night
I have a treat - usually a piece of really good candy.

I pack at least one unused quart zipper bag.  After breakfast, I add water
to the lunch bag, close it up and place it in the zipper bag.  This keeps it
from leaking all over your gear.  At lunch everything is rehydrated and
either eat it cold or cook it.  I do the same for dinner.

Two years ago I tried to measure out in bulk, but found that
unsatisfactory.  It's easier for me to have the meals packaged
individually.

To this I also add my coffee, creamer, and water flavorings.  I add the
spices to the packages while I'm at home.  That way I'm not carrying excess
stuff.

Last year, I bought from the store. Store food weighs a whole lot more than
dehydrated food.  Besides, most of the food that I bought for hiking had all
kinds of preservatives and other ingredients that I normally don't eat.
This usually results in mailing food packages, so there is an added expense
for postage.  However, the trade-off is that I'm eating wholesome food.

If there is a Winco near you, check out their bulk food department.  It's
pretty extensive.  Check out Dicentra's website too for ideas.

Hope this helps.

Clippers